When Should I Contact a Lawyer in New York for a Construction Accident Case?
Construction sites can be extremely dangerous, especially for workers who spend 8 hours or more per day there. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, approximately 150,000 construction-related injuries occur each year. According to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), slip and fall accidents are the most common type of accident on construction sites.
Construction is the most dangerous industry in the country. Every year, one out of every ten construction workers is injured. If you have recently been injured in a construction accident, seeking legal counsel from an experienced attorney should be one of your top priorities. Property owners and homeowners are responsible for maintaining a safe working environment. Nonetheless, accidents do occur. If the accident was caused by someone else’s negligence, you have the right to seek compensation for your losses.
Serious injuries will almost certainly result in exorbitant medical bills. If you were seriously injured, the compensation you deserve should cover all of your expenses. Consider that the injuries you may sustain may prevent you from working for a few days or even months.
Some accidents may result in permanent consequences that prevent the victim from performing the same job in the future. All these factors must be taken into account when calculating the worth of your case. Here are some of the most common economic and noneconomic damages awarded in New York:
- Medical expenses: This should cover any emergency room visits, surgery costs, future medical treatment, physical therapy, medication, medical devices, etc.
- Lost wages: If you are not able to work due to your injuries you are entitled to compensation for the wages you could have earned in that time.
- Disability: Some injuries can leave you with partial or total disability. This will probably prevent you from doing some things that you used to do. As a result, you should be compensated for your diminished earning capacity.
- Travel expenses: You may need to move around to go to different medical service providers. The transportation costs will quickly add up and you should be reimbursed for this expense.
- Property damage: You are entitled to compensation for any property damage caused by the accident.
- Pain and suffering: An accident can leave the victim with emotional trauma, mental anguish, anxiety, depression, post traumatic stress disorder. These are not non-economic damages but you can still seek compensation for them.
- Punitive damages: If the responsible party was grossly negligent or committed a malicious act, the court may “punish” them by awarding you compensation in the form of punitive damages. This damage is awarded on very rare occasions.
How can a lawyer be of help in a construction accident case?
Hiring an attorney can make a significant difference. Having a professional on your side increases your chances of receiving fair compensation. Greenberg and Stein P.C. has highly experienced attorneys who specialize in construction accident cases. Our attorneys will go above and beyond for our clients and will fight tirelessly for your rights.
Here are some benefits of hiring a construction accident lawyer:
- Increasing your benefit payments: Most workers who are injured on the job can receive compensation for their injuries through workers’ compensation benefits. However, it is very common for the money they receive to be insufficient to cover their expenses. A lawyer will advise you on how to maximize your benefit payments. A lawyer can also assist you in navigating the complicated process of filing a workers’ compensation claim.
- Representing you: If you are injured, filing a claim, negotiating with insurance companies, gathering evidence and completing other important tasks required to get compensation can be hard to accomplish. A lawyer will act on your behalf while you recover from your injuries.
- Proving that the responsible party was negligent: Proving negligence is not always easy. In many cases, your lawyer will have to investigate the accident scene, collect evidence and speak with witnesses to build a solid case. Some cases will require the lawyer to seek help from other professionals to reconstruct the accident scene.
- Accurately calculating the worth of your case: Because they do not know how to determine the value of their case, the majority of people do not receive the compensation they are entitled to. An attorney will examine each expense you have incurred, add past, present, and future medical costs, as well as lost wages, and figure out how much compensation you should receive. A lawyer will choose which method to use to calculate noneconomic damages is best for your case because pain and suffering can be difficult to quantify.
How can you proceed?
You must demonstrate negligence on the part of the party at fault in order to be entitled to compensation for injuries you sustained in a construction site accident. A construction accident may be the fault of numerous parties.
For instance, homeowners or property owners have a duty of care to keep the premises safe for employees. Failing to remove or fix any dangerous conditions within a reasonable amount of time can be considered negligence. If a worker was injured due to the malfunction of an equipment that was being used by the worker, then the manufacturers of the machinery can be held responsible.
In bigger construction projects it is common to see several companies/contractors on the same construction site performing different tasks. If a worker causes an accident that hurts an employee from a different company, the victim may be able to sue the other worker’s company or employer.
Determining who is at fault is not so simple. Every case is different and it must be thoroughly investigated. A construction accident attorney can help you identify who is at fault and what is the best course of action to start your claim.
How will representation increase your chances for compensation in a construction accident case?
Feel free to get in touch with us if you were recently involved in a construction accident and are unsure of what to do or where to begin. It will be simpler for you if you hire a lawyer to represent you. An attorney for construction accidents is knowledgeable about the claims procedure and will make sure you submit all necessary paperwork on time and by the deadlines.
Some of the top lawyers can be found at the renowned New York law firm Greenberg & Stein P.C. Our legal team will give their all to see that you get the money you are due. If necessary, our lawyers will also represent you in court. To arrange a free consultation to go over your case, call 888-716-3843.