NEW YORK CITY SLIP AND FALLS LAWYER
According to the National Floor Safety Institute, falls account for over 8 million emergency room visits, representing the leading cause of visits (21.3%). According to a study released by CAN Insurance in June 2007, more than 3 million food service industry employees and over 1 million guests are injured in slip and fall accidents annually. Compensation and medical costs associated with employee slip and fall accidents totals approximately $70 billion a year. To benefit from a substantial settlement amount for your slip and fall accident, contact a New York City personal injury attorney at our office.
Proving a New York City Slip and Fall Case
If you wish to receive a successful settlement, it is advised that you secure an attorney who can help you gather the necessary evidence needed to establish that:
- The owner / possessor created the condition
- The owner / possessor knew the condition existed and negligently failed to correct it
- The condition existed for such a length of time that the owner / possessor should have discovered and corrected it prior to the slip and fall accident
- Failed to provide adequate barriers to close off a wet or damp floor
- Used an excessive amount of polish or wax
- Applied the wax or polish unevenly
- Treated a part of the floor and left another part untreated
- Applied a floor treatment to a sloping part of the floor
- Failed to use a floor treatment with non-skid ingredients
Other signs of negligence could include torn or worn areas of carpet; rugs or mats with curled edges or worn spots; one or more steps that are worn or rounded; debris on stairs; waxed or polished stairs when the stair materials lack a non-skid surface; abroken or missing handrail; inadequate outdoor lighting; and an unmaintained or ill-maintained parking lot. In some instances, an unmaintained or ill-maintained public sidewalk outside of a business can also result from negligence.
Why do you need an attorney for your premises liability case in NYC?
A New York City premises liability lawyer can help bolster your claim by investigating the following information:
- How long did the defect exist before your accident?
- What kind of cleaning activities did the property owner engage in?
- Was there a legitimate reason why the object that you tripped on was placed where it was?
- Could the object that you tripped on be stored or placed in a safer location?
- What precautions did the property owner fail to take that could have lessened the chances of someone tripping and falling?
- Was there a problem with any of the surroundings that contributed to your accident?
- Did any building code violations occur?
At Greenberg & Stein, P.C. we have over 50 years of combined litigation experience. Our firm has successfully secured the following settlements for slip and fall victims:
- $750,000 recovery for victim that fell into open trap door and fractured ankle and shoulder
- $625,000 recovery for victim that fell on worn-away step and had to have back surgery
- $450,000 recovery for delivery man that fell on basement steps of bodega and had to have surgery
- $350,000 recovery for victim that tripped and fell on broken sidewalk and fractured wrist