How Do I File a Complaint Against the NYC Police?

In New York City, the police department works to keep you safe, and while they’ve been given the power to maintain public safety, there have been growing instances when that power is misused or abused. If you believe you or a loved one has been a victim of a police officer abusing their power, or who used excessive force, your first step is to contact the New York City Civilian Complaint Review Board (CCRB) to file a complaint.

The CCRB is not associated with the NYPD but is an independent agency that allows you to make official complaints against a police officer. They investigate any complaints that involve excessive force, discourtesy, offensive language, and/or abuse of authority.

The decisions, or, in some cases, recommendations, of the CCRB involve disciplinary actions that could include further training, or removal from the New York City police force. These recommendations are sent by the CCRB to the police commissioner who makes the final decision on any action that may be taken against a police officer.

If you have any information about a New York City police officer’s misconduct you can file a complaint, even if you weren’t the victim directly. There is no age requirement in order to make a complaint, and the CCRB can accept a complaint in any language. Additionally, you can file a complaint against a NYC police officer if you are in jail.

The only requirement is that you file the complaint as soon as possible after the incident occurred because the Civilian Complaint Review Board can only recommend disciplinary actions within 18 months from the date the misconduct occurred.

Once the complaint is filed, an investigator will be assigned to your case and will want to contact you in order to investigate any misuse of power. This investigator will also want to have a meeting with you and get any information you have such as the time, date, and location of the incident. They will also want the names and contact information of any potential witnesses to the incident.

You can file an anonymous complaint, but an investigator will still want to meet with you, so it’s vital that you provide your contact information. You can be assured that the police officer will not know who filed the complaint, and officers are required to comply with any investigation.

It’s okay if you don’t know the NYC police officer’s name or badge number. The investigator from the CCRB will be able to identify the officer based on the time and location of the incident. In some cases, your investigator may ask you to look at pictures of the police officer in question for identification purposes.

If you or a loved one wants to file a complaint against a NYC police officer, you can call the CCRB at 1-800-341-2272, fill out an online complaint form at the CCRB website, you can write a letter, or visit the board at 40 Rector Street, 2nd Floor, New York, NY. You can also choose to file a complaint at the local police precinct and they will forward it to the CCRB.

If you or a loved one believe they have a legitimate complaint against the NYPD, then your next step will be to hire a skilled, knowledgeable, and experienced NYC attorney like those at Greenberg & Stein to help you navigate the complicated complaint system, ensure that your rights are protected, and we will investigate any and all possible legal recourses available to you.

The law firm of Greenberg & Stein is passionate about standing up for the little guy and has a reputation for taking on and winning even the most difficult of cases. We firmly believe that no one should suffer at the hands of those who were hired to protect and defend the public good and our team is standing by, ready to help.

We offer a free consultation and a 24-hour phone line, so don’t hesitate to call us if you are in need of a police misconduct lawyer in New York City. Call us today at 888-411-3966 to schedule your free legal consultation.