Choosing The Best Car Accident Claims Lawyer in NY
How to Choose the Best Car Accident Lawyer in New York?
Due to the large number of law firms in New York to choose from, finding legal assistance after an accident can be quite difficult. You’re probably also dealing with injuries, automobile repairs, and all the costs that come with them. Taking the time to choose the best car accident lawyer available, on the other hand, will have a significant impact on the result of your claim. For that reason, we have selected some of the most important characteristics in an attorney to help you make the correct decision.
1. Experience and Background
When choosing an attorney make sure that you ask about their previous experience, especially with cases similar to yours. Although each situation is unique, having someone who is familiar with vehicle accidents is usually beneficial. Lawyers who haven’t practiced for a long time aren’t inherently a poor choice; just be sure they have had the proper training to handle a case like yours.
2. Won cases
If you come across an accident lawyer that has handled instances similar to yours, you can ask them for more information about these cases. You must assess the percentage of cases won, which will guide you in choosing between two attorneys. However, effectiveness is not the only factor to evaluate; you must also analyze the amount of money they were able to recover. Qualified lawyers will not only be able to win a case for their client, but will also be able to obtain reasonable compensation.
You can use a lawyer’s or a law firm’s reputation to decide whether they are a good fit for you. All attorneys and firms want to establish a positive image, but they must do more than win cases to accomplish so. Customer service and professionalism are critical factors to consider. You can read reviews online to learn more about previous clients’ experiences with this lawyer or firm. Prestigious firms will also appoint qualified lawyers to each lawsuit; keep in mind that they cannot afford to lose their positive reputation by assigning attorneys to cases that they cannot win.
4. Free cases analysis
Another thing to think about is whether or not this lawyer or firm gives a free consultation. It is fantastic to be able to speak with an attorney about your case and get their opinion on the choices accessible to you without having to pay for it. You will gain a better understanding of their plan of action as well as their dedication to you in this manner. Not every lawyer will fight for you and exhaust all options available before going to court.
Is It Worth Getting a Lawyer for a Car Accident?
Hiring a lawyer is totally worth it in cases that result in serious injuries or death. Most people, however, believe that hiring an attorney is unnecessary if a car accident only results in property damage or minor injuries. Unfortunately, reaching a fair settlement is not always as straightforward as you may assume. Here are a few reasons why you should consider getting a personal injury attorney.
- Experienced attorneys are capable of accurately calculating your accident-related expenses. Insurance companies usually aim to pay as little as possible, and people occasionally accept these settlements because they do not really know how to correctly evaluate all of the costs associated with the event. Having an attorney on your side will prevent you from accepting unfair offers.
- During the claims procedure, you may be required to negotiate with the insurance company until a satisfactory settlement is reached. However, attaining this agreement may be exhausting and demanding. Lawyers that have handled car accident cases understand how to deal with insurance companies. Their prior experiences have equipped them with the necessary abilities to reach a fair settlement more quickly.
- If your dispute cannot be addressed through negotiation and you must go to court, having a lawyer represent you will be hugely valuable. There is no requirement that you employ a lawyer in order to file a lawsuit; but, doing so considerably increases your chances of success. People who represent themselves in court frequently fail because they are unfamiliar with the proper procedures.
How Much Does Hiring a Car Accident Lawyer Cost?
Typically, car accident lawyers charge a “contingency fee,” which means they get a percentage of the money recovered in a settlement. This percentage usually ranges from 25% to 40%, with 33 percent (one-third) being the most common agreement. Just keep in mind that this percentage may vary. If the case cannot be resolved through negotiation and you must go to court, the percentage will probably rise. Read the contract carefully to ensure that there are no other fees that you may not be aware of.
In the Event of a Crash, How Will I Be Compensated?
Lawyers will usually consult with other professionals, such as accountants, financial analysts, and economists, to determine the severity of a crash and its consequences. That way, they’ll know exactly how much money you’re owed in compensation. You can be compensated for four different things.
- Medical expenses: All payments for hospital stays, physical or psychological therapy, medication, and tests are included. You may also be compensated if you need to continue receiving treatment in the future or if you need to upgrade your home to meet your medical needs.
- Lost wages: If you were unable to work or if you will lose income in the future due to your injuries, you can be compensated.
- Pain and suffering: This refers to the physical and emotional stress that an injured person goes through during the accident and rehabilitation process.
- Punitive damages: Punitive damages are damages awarded in court to penalize a defendant for negligence. Examples of this would be drunk driving or distracted driving.
In New York, Do All Car Accidents End in Litigation?
No, the majority of cases are settled out of court. New York’s No-Fault rules were created to ensure that victims of car accidents can receive compensation without having to file a lawsuit. Accidents that result in death or major injury, on the other hand, are more likely to result in litigation. It is worth noting that there is a limited amount of time to file a lawsuit. Lawyers at Greenberg and Stein P.C. can help you meet all deadlines required and receive proper compensation whether you are going to court or not. Feel free to contact us at 212-969-8785 to schedule an appointment with a member of our legal team.
What Are Some Common Causes of Car Accidents that Require Litigation?
- Negligence and distractions: This includes, among other things, irresponsible driving, breaking traffic regulations, speeding, driving while intoxicated, talking on the phone while driving, and reading while driving.
- Lack of maintenance to a vehicle: This usually happens in the commercial sector, when owners do not keep their vehicles in the proper conditions to operate.
- Defects of the roadway: Sometimes streets or highways are not properly constructed or maintained, resulting in an accident.
- Defects of the vehicle: Manufacturers may be held accountable in court for a vehicle that has a manufacturing or design fault that causes a crash.
What is New York Statute of Limitation to Report a Car Accident?
According to the New York Statute of Limitations, a vehicle accident victim has three years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit against the at-fault party. However, accidents that result in wrongful deaths have a shorter time limit; in these situations, a lawsuit must be brought within two years after the incident. Other deadlines or time extensions may be necessary depending on the circumstances of the accident. An attorney can give you more information about the steps you’ll need to follow in your case, as well as the amount of time you’ll have to complete them.
The Bottom Line
Finally, hiring a lawyer can be quite beneficial, particularly in cases involving severe injuries, significant financial losses, or even death. Or if you believe that having a lawyer on your side would give you the peace of mind you need to overcome other difficulties you may face. Regardless of the reason you have to hire an attorney, you can be rest assured that at Greenberg and Stein P.C. you will find some of the best lawyers in New York willing to fight for you. Our prestigious firm has lawyers qualified for any type of accident claim that will not rest until you receive the compensation you deserve. Do not hesitate in scheduling a free consultation to review your case with one of our attorneys. Call us today at 212-969-8785.