Blog > Greenberg & Stein > Who Investigates Police Misconduct in New York?

Who Investigates Police Misconduct in New York?

In New York, police misconduct is investigated by several agencies, including:

Civilian Complaint Review Board (CCRB): The CCRB is an independent agency that receives and investigates complaints of police corruption made by members of the public against the New York City Police Department (NYPD). The CCRB can investigate and make recommendations for disciplinary action against officers found to have engaged in misconduct.

Internal Affairs Bureau (IAB): The IAB is a division of the NYPD responsible for investigating allegations of misconduct coming from police officers involving NYPD officers. The IAB investigates complaints and reports of misconduct made by members of the public or by other members of the NYPD.

District Attorney’s Office: The District Attorney’s Office is responsible for investigating and prosecuting criminal offenses, including police misconduct. When the District Attorney’s Office receives a complaint of police corruption, they can investigate and prosecute the officer if necessary.

New York State Attorney General’s Office: The New York State Attorney General’s Office has the authority to investigate and prosecute misconduct cases, particularly those involving possible civil rights violations, through its Civil Rights Bureau.

It is important to note that the specific agency responsible for investigating police misconduct can vary depending on the circumstances of each case.

Inquiry into Police Misconduct in New York: Who Holds Authority?
Police Misconduct Attorney NYC I Greenberg & Stein P.C.

What is police misconduct?

Police misconduct refers to any action taken by a law enforcement officer that violates the law or ethical standards. This can include a range of behaviors, such as excessive use of force, discrimination, abuse of authority, falsifying evidence, coercing confessions, and engaging in corrupt practices.

Examples of police corruption can vary in severity, ranging from relatively minor infractions like using profanity or being discourteous, to more serious offenses such as racially biased policing or the use of deadly force without justification.

Police violence can have serious consequences, not only for the individuals directly involved but also for public trust in law enforcement. When police officers engage in misconduct, it can erode public confidence in the justice system and lead to a breakdown in the relationship between law enforcement and the communities they serve.

How to Report Police Misconduct in New York?

If you have experienced or witnessed violence by a police officer in New York, there are several ways to report it:

File a complaint with the Civilian Complaint Review Board (CCRB): The CCRB is an independent city agency that investigates allegations of police corruption. You can file a complaint online, by mail, or in person at one of their offices. To file a complaint online, visit their website at

Contact the Internal Affairs Bureau (IAB): The IAB is the NYPD’s internal affairs unit, responsible for investigating allegations of unlawful acts by NYPD officers. You can contact them by phone at (212) 741-8401, or by mail at the Internal Affairs Bureau, 1 Police Plaza, New York, NY 10038.

Contact the New York State Attorney General’s office: The Attorney General’s office has a Civil Rights Bureau that investigates police misconduct and violations of civil rights. You can file a complaint online or by phone at (800) 771-7755.

Contact a Police Misconduct Attorney If you’ve experienced any kind of police misconduct, you require tenacious legal representation to help you stand up for your rights and seek restitution for the damages you’ve suffered. Nobody is more qualified to handle your case than a personal injury attorney in New York from Greenberg & Stein, P.C.

It is important to note that there are strict time limits for filing complaints of police misconduct, so it is best to file your complaint as soon as possible. Additionally, it is important to provide as much detail and evidence as possible to support your complaint.

Reporting police misconduct anonymously

It is possible to report violence by police officers anonymously. The agencies previously mentioned offer the possibility to submit a complaint anonymously.

Your Police Misconduct Attorney can also file a police misconduct complaint on your behalf. In fact, in some cases, it may be advisable to have an attorney handle the complaint, particularly if you believe that you have been a victim of human rights abuse by a law enforcement officer and are considering legal action. Your attorney can file a complaint with the appropriate agency or organization, such as the Civilian Complaint Review Board or the New York State Attorney General’s Office.

They can also provide legal advice and representation throughout the complaint process. When filing a complaint on your behalf, your attorney will need to have your consent and a clear understanding of your allegations of abuse of power from an officer. They will also need to provide any relevant evidence or documentation to support your complaint.

Keep in mind that filing a police violence complaint is just one step in the process of seeking justice for any harm you may have suffered. If you are considering legal action, it is important to discuss your options with an experienced attorney who can advise you on the best course of action based on the facts of your case.

Identifying Oversight Agencies for Police Misconduct in New York
Report Police Misconduct with Greenberg and Stein

Can I Sue for Police Misconduct?

Yes, you can sue for police misconduct in New York. In New York, you will need to demonstrate that the police officer(s) violated your civil rights or acted negligently and that this misconduct caused you harm. You will also need to follow the proper procedures for filing a lawsuit, including filing a complaint with the appropriate court and serving notice to the police department or agency involved. If you are considering suing for police fraud, you should consult with an experienced Police Misconduct Attorney who can advise you on the best course of action based on the facts of your case.

Police Misconduct Attorneys in NYC

Police misconduct is a serious issue that can have significant consequences on the victim’s life. Some of the consequences can include:

  • Physical injuries
  • Emotional trauma
  • Financial harm
  • Damage to reputation
  • Loss of trust in law enforcement
  • Legal consequences

If you have experienced police misconduct, we can help you. Greenberg & Stein P.C. is a law firm located in New York. We have experienced attorneys that specialize in police violence cases. Our attorneys will go above and beyond to help you in the process of filing a police corruption claim, collecting evidence, and acting on your behalf. Contact us at 888-716-3843 to schedule a free consultation to review your case.