Personal Injuries During Holiday Season in New York
The holiday season is for many people their favorite time of the year. Some people like the weather, others like to gather with their families and some just love the atmosphere of the holiday season. However, there is no denying that the holiday season is full of dangers too. The holiday season is the busiest time of the year for some businesses. That may lead to some accidents at work. Furthermore, during the holiday season, it can get pretty cold. Snow and ice can make surfaces very slippery and that can cause slip-and-fall accidents.
Some accidents are preventable. Just by taking some precautions, we can stay away from the emergency room on these days. Unfortunately, there are many situations in which accidents are not preventable. Some of these situations may be caused by someone else’s negligence or carelessness. If you were injured due to someone’s recklessness, you may be entitled to compensation. You can learn more about your legal options by speaking to an experienced personal injury lawyer.
Most Common Injuries During Holidays
You can get injured any day of the year, holidays are no exceptions. Due to the holiday celebrations and weather, there are some injuries that are more common on these days. Here’s a list of some common injuries that tend to occur during holidays.
- Broken bones can be the result of car accidents or slip and fall accidents.
- Soft tissue injuries can be caused by vehicle crashes.
- Muscular injuries can be provoked by lifting heavy objects like Christmas trees.
- Burns can be caused by cooking or while decorating using candles.
- Sprains and strains can happen after a car crash or after tripping with an extension cord used for Christmas lights.
- Spinal injuries are common after a slip and fall accident.
- Traumatic brain injuries are very serious injuries that can occur after slipping and falling and hitting the head.
- Food poisoning is common during holidays because people eat more than usual or they ingest some ingredients that their bodies do not tolerate.
What Causes These Injuries?
Drunk and Sleepy Drivers:
Car accidents occur everyday. However, during the holidays it is possible to see more car accidents than any other time of the year. Unfortunately, many people drink alcohol and then drive. It is well-known that driving while intoxicated significantly increases the chances of provoking a car accident. Finally, some truck drivers tend to work for extended hours just to be able to make their cargo deliveries on time for the holidays. Fatigue and lack of sleep are the perfect formula for a vehicle accident.
Weather Conditions Over The Roads:
Weather conditions can make driving more difficult. Snow and ice can make roads and streets very slippery. If you do not drive carefully, you can easily cause an accident.
Christmas Decorations in Dangerous Conditions:
Christmas decorations are a must at every home where Christmas is celebrated. Nonetheless, some decorations can lead to accidents. Christmas trees that are not properly installed can fall and cause a serious accident. Christmas lights are very common. However, if you are not careful you can fall from your ladder of scaffoldings while installing Christmas lights.
Consumption In Excess:
During Holidays it is very common to gather with the family and have a delicious dinner. Nevertheless, it is important not to eat in excess. Eating more than what you are typically used to can lead to indigestion. Additionally, people who are allergic to some ingredients may experience an allergic reaction if they did not check if there were any ingredients in the food that they are not supposed to eat.
Inaccessibility of Pharmacies During Holiday:
A lot of businesses close during the holidays, even pharmacies. People who have medical conditions that force them to take some prescription drugs may have difficulties in finding the medicine they need.
Safety Precautions For Holiday Season
A lot of the injuries previously mentioned can be prevented. In most cases, being a little careful is all it takes. Here are some safety precautions for this holiday season:
- Do not drink and drive. It is extremely dangerous to drink and drive. Not to mention that it is also illegal. Driving while intoxicated can lead to severe car crashes. If the road conditions are not optimal, stay at home. Unless you really need to leave home, do not go out when it is raining or snowing. Snow, rain, and ice reduce your visibility. Maneuvering the car is also harder.
- Be careful when installing decorations. Check that your ladder is secured and that the surface is not slippery before installing any Christmas lights. Try to use long lighters to light candles. This will help you stay away from fire as much as possible.
- Do not lift heavy objects by yourself. If you are installing a Christmas tree or other heavy ornaments, ask for help. It is really easy to get injured by picking heaving objects. Your back will be thankful.
- Check gas lines and fireplaces before using them. If you do not regularly use your fireplace, test it and look for gas leaks. You do not want to have a gas related accident during your Christmas dinner.
Greenberg & Stein Personal Injury Holiday Lawyer
If you have suffered an injury during the holidays due to a negligent driver, a careless property owner who did not remove the snow from their property, or anyone else whose actions lead to your injury, do not hesitate in contacting Greenberg & Stein P.C. Our lawyers are dedicated to helping people who have been financially and physically affected by an injury caused by a negligent party. Our attorneys can help you get the compensation you deserve. Contact us at 888-716-3843 to schedule a free consultation to review your case.