Back and Neck Injury Average Settlement After a Car Accident
Back and neck injuries can be extremely dangerous to your health since they can severely impair your ability to do regular duties or cause intense pain. If you have just been in a car accident and sustained an injury in one of these areas, you are probably wondering how much money you will need to pay for your medical costs. The average settlement for a back and neck injury can be anywhere from $10,000 and $100,000. Keep in mind that this sum can be significantly higher depending on the severity of the injury and its consequences. Every case is unique and the compensation will be determined based on different factors. An expert personal injury lawyer can assess the amount of money required to meet the medical expenditures of someone who has been injured in a car accident. Remember that insurance companies will try to minimize your injuries to reduce the compensation.
What is The Average Car Accident Settlement for Back and Neck Injury in New York State?
New York is a particularly costly state to live in, and medical expenses are no exception. A fair compensation for a neck or back injury in New York will probably be higher than in other states. Like previously stated, the average compensation can vary anywhere between $10,000 and $100,000. However, there have been cases in New York where accident victims have recovered hundreds and even millions of dollars. Serious injuries are entitled to a higher level of compensation. A neck or back injury can produce excruciating pain, impede movement partially or entirely, and result in long-term consequences. Our lawyers at Greenberg & Stein P.C. have handled cases involving neck and back injuries after a car accident and have successfully recovered fair compensation for our clients. An undocumented worker, for example, was granted $740,943 after he was involved in a car accident and had to undergo surgery due to herniated discs.
How Are Injury Settlement Values Calculated?
There are many things that have to be taken into account before reaching a settlement with an insurance company because they will greatly impact the amount of money necessary to cover all medical expenses. One of the most crucial elements that will be considered is the sort of damage you sustained. A person who has had whiplash will not be compensated in the same way as someone who has suffered spinal cord damage. Treatments for recovery will also be considered when determining the sum of money which will be used to pay for them. Some injuries will only take a few days of rest and possibly pain medication, whilst others may necessitate multiple injuries, physiotherapy, and months of healing. Aside from the therapy, the costs of medical tests must be included in this calculation, doctors will need to evaluate a patient’s progress on a regular basis in order to adjust their treatment.
Another crucial consideration is the type of care that an injured person requires and the length of time that they will need it. Serious injuries may necessitate the support of a professional caregiver for an extended period of time, if not permanently. Additionally, medical equipment such as wheelchairs or walkers may be required, as well as changes to the victim’s home to allow them to move freely throughout the premises. Calculating all of these expenditures is a difficult undertaking, thus expert assistance is needed. A personal injury attorney who specializes in back and neck injuries can assist you in determining the appropriate compensation for your injuries. Furthermore, if your case cannot be addressed through insurance company negotiations, you may be obliged to file a personal injury lawsuit against the at-fault driver. Without the assistance of a lawyer, this process could be very difficult to complete on your own.
Common Back and Neck Traumas After Car Accidents
As previously said, one of the most essential variables in determining the right compensation is the type of damage you experienced. The following is a list of some of the most frequent neck and back injuries that occur as a result of a car accident.
- Whiplash: It is caused by moving your head violently forward and backwards. It affects your neck muscles, tendons, nerves and discs. Neck pain, neck stiffness, shoulder pain and dizziness are common symptoms.
- Herniated discs: This occurs when the force of the collision causes one of your vertebrae (backbone bones) to push into your spinal canal, compressing, pressing on, or otherwise irritating your spinal cord, which is the bundle of nerves that carries messages from your brain to various parts of your body. It usually causes back pain and numbness in the leg or foot
- Broken vertebrae: The majority of these fractures are caused by high-velocity collisions. Your spine’s bones may crack or fissure as a result of the force. Depending on the severity of the injury you could experience moderate to severe pain.
- Slipped vertebrae: When a vertebra slips out of place and rests on the bone below it, this is called a slipped vertebra. This may cause back stiffness, muscle spasms and back pain when bending over.
- Spinal cord injuries: Damage to the tight bundle of cells and nerves that sends and receives information from the brain to and from the rest of the body is known as a spinal cord injury. This damage can cause temporary or permanent alterations in sensation, movement, strength, and physiological functions. Some lesions that induce little or no cell death may allow for a near-complete recovery, but more catastrophic injuries can result in paralysis throughout the body.
An Injury Lawyer Can Help Get The Best Possible Settlement
Negotiating with an insurance company on your own can be difficult, they will try to do everything to reduce the compensation as much as possible. If you are not aware of the extent of your injuries or you cannot properly calculate the expenses of your lesions you might accept a settlement that will not cover all your medical costs. Moreover, if you decide to take your case to court by bringing a personal injury lawsuit against the responsible driver you will have to take additional actions that consume time and require a lot of effort. Doing everything on your own can be debilitating, especially if you are injured. A personal injury attorney will guide through each step of the process and they also will ensure that the sum you will accept will be sufficient to pay all of your medical bills. At Greenberg & Stein P.C. you will find the best personal injury lawyers in New York ready to help you. Our legal team has years of experience dealing with all kinds of injuries and have successfully recovered compensation for countless people. Contact us at 212-969-8776 to schedule a consultation with one of our lawyers to review your case.